Ella Cheung/WAYS OF SEEING & TALKING PATTERN

For this task, I was working with a photo that I took of a Koi Fish in a river. Using the term ‘ways of seeing’, I wanted to completely take the Koi fish out of its natural environment that you would envision it to be in. I focused on the irregular patches on the scales and painted them in different colours while distorting them and playing around with the composition. I made colourful backgrounds digitally with lots of layering to bring the koi fish pattern outside of its body for a fun twist. I also tried to make a print capturing the movement of multiple koi fish swimming. The colours I used were directly taken from real-life koi fish and the vividness really symbolizes them well. I also used colours like pink and blue on some prints as an experiment as another way of seeing them. I really enjoyed this process of working from the shapes I saw inside the koi fish alone. The digital look is one of my favorites and it is so bright and bold with the layers of colourful patches being the main attraction and the thin outline of the koi fish body shows that print coming through in random places which is similar to what a real koi fish would look like but inverted.

To improve and develop, I would add some of the river ripples into some of my digital prints to add a further layer of texture and outlines.

1 Comment